2. When an adult, try to read your own work as a stranger would read it, or even better, as an enemy would.
3. Dont romanticise your vocation. You can either write good sentences or you cant. There is no writers lifestyle.
All that matters is what you leave on the page.
4. Avoid your weaknesses. But do this without telling yourself that the things you cant do arent worth doing.
5. Dont mask self-doubt with contempt.
6. Leave a decent space of time between writing something and editing it.
7. Avoid cliques, gangs, groups. The presence of a crowd wont make your writing any better than it is.
8.Work on a computer that is disconnected from the internet.
9. Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even the people who are most important to you.
10. Dont confuse honours with achievement.
Tell the truth through whichever veil comes to hand but tell it. Resign yourself to the lifelong sadness that comes from never being satisfied.