It takes a particular personality type to be an author. Do you make the grade? The following are some of the essential ingredients.
1. Are you a seeker after truth?
2. Are you tenacious?
3. Are you patient?
4. Are you a dreamer?
5. Are you a perfectionist when it comes to words?
6. Do you have mental stamina?
7. Do you feel passionate about things?
8. Do you have an overactive imagination?
9. Do you love reading?
10. Do you love research?
11. Do you have a love of learning?
12. Are you interested in people?
13. Are you interested in life?
14. Do you like your own company?
15. Do you have lower than average self-esteem?
16. Do you doubt yourself at least five times a day?
17. Do you think you can deal with being poor for the rest of your life? If you answered ‘NO’ don’t waste your time any further.
18. Can you take rejection?
19. Are you selfish when it comes to your time?
20. Are you able to resist checking your email, Facebook and Twitter for at least an hour? Ok, make it half an hour.
21. If you are a childrens author would you feel like bopping the next person who said, ‘When are you going to write an adult book?’
22. If you are a childrens author would you feel like wringing the neck of the 523rd people who told you that you might be the next JK Rowling?
If you answered yes to all of the above then congratulations, you have a very good chance of becoming a professional writer.