1. Tell us something hardly anyone knows about you.
Im scared of injections.
2. What is your nickname?
I dont have a nickname and nobodys ever given me one. Or maybe they have behind my back.
3. What is your greatest fear?
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
Magical realism, adventure, childrens fiction, lyrical.
Rewriter6. What book character would you be, and why?
Id love to be Mimi in The Garden of Empress Cassia. How amazing would it be to do a drawing then be able to go inside it?
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
Shanghai , China 1930s so I could meet my paternal grandmother. She took her own life just after World War Two there was a famine and her family didnt have enough to eat. I would tell her to keep on living.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
What it says to me everyday. I am permanently locked into the mind of a ten year old and its saying, Open your eyes! Look at all the adventure and inspiration around you.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
This question is impossible to answer. My dog?
10. What/who made you start writing?
The adventures I had as a child, my art, my books, one perfect dream.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Two words – Tom Echo.
My son at the age of 4 mysteriously wanted his name to be changed to Tom Echo. There is a story in there, which I want to write one day. By writing it, I will uncover the mystery.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Tao Te Ching by Lao Zi.